In the Green Spirit
Spirit Graphics and Printing Inc. has four generations of printing and publishing experience and has been family owned and operated since 1983. Even with the standards of tradition to live up to, Spirit Graphics has pledged to turn their small business green in order to save money and protect the environment for future generations.
“Our hope was to provide a much cleaner and more responsible product... it has been an overall transformation to a clean sustainable business.”
Spirit Graphics is a prime example of the old motto reduce, reuse, and recycle. They recycle up to 99% of their paper waste and 100% of their aluminum press plates. They use soy and linseed based inks to cut down on volatile organic compounds and reuse spray bottles instead of one-time-use aerosols. They have also relocated to a facility that use T-5 lighting, low flush toilets, and water saving landscape, and reduces the commute of their employees.
The three certifications (FSC, SFI, PEFC) that Spirit Graphics hold all promote sustainable forests in an industry which is based heavily on materials from wood. These organizations help protect the forest and the indigenous people around the world who depend on it. By promoting sustainable forestry practices, resources for future generations can be protected.
By offsetting their local emissions through purchasing credits from a wind farm, Spirit Graphics helps promote investment and development in renewable wind energy. Through these credits, Spirit Graphics also minimizes their climate change impact.
By enrolling in the Chula Vista Clean Business Program, Spirit Graphics is promoting clean business practices in their local community. Through this networking organization, they are able to meet other like-minded small business owners to share ideas on how to improve their business practices, limit their environmental impacts, and support each other through business ventures.
Green Printing Process
By purchasing their printing blankets from ContiTech, Spirit Graphics is able to eliminate all of the CO2 emissions associated with the production of printing blankets. They also use the latest plate making process less technology, incorporate many recycled and chlorine free stocks, recycle 100% of their high grade aluminum press plates, and use low volatile organic compound (VOC) soy and linseed oil based inks.
“It is not about the costs associated with being sustainable. Rather what is the ultimate cost of not being sustainable that worries me.” –Thomas D. Ackerman Jr., Vice President and Chief Sustainablity Officer
A design and print company specializing in environmentally friendly printing and state-of-the-art products and services.
Climate Friendly Actions
- Offsets all energy annually with Green-e certified renewable wind energy
- Environmentally-friendly purchasing policy includes Certified FSC (Forest Stewardship Council), the SFI (Sustainable Forestry Initiative), and the Green Seal memberships
Relocated facility to reduce employee commute miles thereby removing 80,000 pounds of carbon from the atmosphere
- Regularly maintains delivery vans to improve fuel efficiency and extend vehicle life
- Purchased the new 100% electric Nissan Leaf for short deliveries
- Distills water in-house instead of having it trucked in
- Uses delivery boxes made from 100% recycled materials
- Recycles up to 99% of paper waste on any given day
- Uses the only carbon neutral blanket from ContiTech
- Uses low VOC soy and linseed oil based inks, along with low VOC press wash
- Plants 1,200 trees a year through American Forests
Estimated Yearly Reductions of CO2
- 80,000 CO2e
- 99% paper waste
- 100% of aluminum press plates