Surplus Service is an e-waste recycling business providing an efficient, simple and secure way to dispose of used electronics and surplus equipment while avoiding unnecessarily adding material to the landfill. Surplus Service has implemented many green initiatives as part of its standard operating procedures to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Over 85% of the electronics that come into the facility are repaired, reused or re-marketed and the other 15% are recycled, leaving nothing to deposit in the landfill.
Wade Thomas Elementary School has pursued many avenues for becoming greener over the past several years. The “Cool the Earth” program, which they are running for the third year, teaches students about how their everyday actions are related to greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and global warming, and inspires them to take simple, measurable actions with their families to reduce their carbon emissions.